SAN ANTONIO, Nov. 30, 2021 /PRNewswire/ — This Giving Tuesday, national nonprofit Petco Love kicks off the holiday season in a big way announcing $1 million to support animal welfare organizations through their annual Love Stories campaign (formerly Holiday Wishes). With thousands of adopters nationwide sharing stories about how their pets changed their lives, Petco Love and campaign partner, BOBS from Skechers, selected the 100 best stories and will celebrate this holiday season at gatherings in Petco Pet Care Centers across the nation through Dec. 19.
At the events, Petco Love will surprise the pet adoption organization with a grant award of up to $100,000, and the adopter will receive BOBS from Skechers shoes and a Petco shopping spree to spoil their beloved pet(s).
“These Love Stories reflect the importance of pets in our lives. Whether we’re in the best or worst of times, the love of pets can change everything,” said Petco Love President, Susanne Kogut. “Reading these touching tales strengthens our resolve to create a world where every shelter pet finds a loving family, and no pet is unnecessarily euthanized. We are proud to invest $1 million to further empower the lifesaving organizations that work tirelessly to save pet lives and inspire others to adopt pets from their local adoption organization.”
Eighty-five million households in the U.S. have pets. The diverse and relatable selection of 100 winning stories reflect the many big and small, simple but profound ways pets make our lives better. Selected stories include:
- Adopted Dog Helps Mom Through Breast Cancer Treatment and Beyond: After being diagnosed with cancer, Whitney adopted Dash who stayed by her side through chemotherapy and COVID-19 and gave her a reason to smile. Since then, she’s fostered countless animals and adopted a second pup, Duncan.
- Orange Duo Brings Joy to Neighborhood During COVID-19 Lockdown: At the start of San Francisco’s COVID-19 lockdown, Natasha and her partner adopted kittens Oona and Elio, whose playful antics in their windowfront hammock brought their neighborhood together.
- Bolt the Dog Shows Man in Recovery the Power of Unconditional Love: Nicholas’ journey of sobriety led him to volunteer to help animals, which is how he met Bolt. While they’ve both had a challenging past, Bolt showed Nicholas that everyone deserves to be loved.
- Little Girl Meets Her Match in a Cat with a Cleft Lip and Palate: Caitlin’s daughter, Ivy, was born with a cleft lip and palate. When Caitlin adopted Sergeant Pepper, a cat born with the same condition, she knew Ivy would never feel alone in this world.
- Adopted Dog Shows Her Mom How to Choose Love in the Face of Hate: When Yukari experienced a racist incident in New York, her dog Butter’s comfort and care showed her that love prevails. Yukari found strength in her community of pet parents, who rallied to help her feel safe again.
- Pair of Kittens Helps Couple See Family in a New Way: Louise and Edward struggled to conceive, but throughout their infertility journey, kittens Tom and Sylvester offered comfort, healing, and a new definition of family.
Animal lovers can champion pet adoption by voting for their favorite story in the People’s Choice Competition at petcolove.org/lovestories. The top five stories with the most votes will earn additional …….